Terms and conditions
1. Scope of Terms and Conditions
2. Online services
2. The British Council Online Level Check platform (OLC) and Student Portal provide access to:
- Booking of a face to face consultation in one our centres
- Managing the consultation booking via the Student
- Online Level Test
3. Use of services
4. Online Level check
4.1 The level test is completed online. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure adequate conditions for its completion
- Access to a computer or tablet with access to the internet
- Access to a browser
- Adequate time without interruptions
4.2 the registration and access to the online level check and the consultation is unique to the customer and cannot be shared with another person.
5. Student Portal
5. By booking a test on the British Council Online Level Check platform, the student gains access to our student booking platform (Student Portal), used exclusively to manage the online level check and consultation booking (updating details and changing bookings)
6.The details of the consultation booking will be sent by email or SMS to the contacts provided by the customer.
This email will include the username and password to access the Student Portal.
7. OLC Results
7. The result of the online level check will be given during the consultation sessions.
8. Use of OLC results
8. This result cannot be used as a formal proof of qualification in English, and its purpose is exclusively to inform the registration in the British Council programme of courses for adults.
The test result is valid for a period of six months.
9. Changes to booking
9. The British Council may sometimes have to re-book the consultation sessions to alternative dates.
In these situations, it will use the contact data provided by the customer.
10. Age restrictions
10. The use of the British Council Online Level Check platform (OLC) and the Student Portal is reserved for customers who are 18 years and older.
11. Diversity and inclusion
11. The British Council seeks to ensure equal opportunities are provided to all individuals.
If you have a disability or special need, the British Council will make reasonable adjustments to make sure that you have, as far as is reasonable, the same access to the services of the British Council Online Level Check platform, the Student Portal and the consultation session.
Please provide the British Council the relevant information, no later than two days before the visit or test, so that we can take the necessary measures.
12. We will use reasonable endeavours to make the services of the British Council Online Level Check platform (OLC) and the Student Portal available at the date and time confirmed to the customer. However, owing to the nature of the internet, the British Council does not and cannot guarantee that your use of the Digital Service will be uninterrupted or error-free. We are not responsible for any delays, delivery failures, or any other loss or damage resulting from the transfer of data over communications networks and facilities, including the internet, and you acknowledge that the Digital Service may be subject to limitations, delays and other problems inherent in the use of such communications facilities.
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or restrict either party’s liability for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence (or in the case of the British Council, that of its employees while acting in the course of their employment) or for fraudulent misrepresentation or in any other circumstances where liability may not be limited under any applicable law.
Under no circumstances shall the British Council be liable for any actual or alleged indirect loss or consequential loss howsoever arising.
13.2 The British Council will use information provided by you in registering and using the Online Level Check platform, including personal information.
- We collect the following information:
- Date of birth
- Special requirements - if applicable (for example, accessibility)
The information provided by you will be used to
- Manage the online level test
- Manage the consultation booking
- Create your record on our student management system
- Promotion of relevant products and services.
Please find our full policy here: www.britishcouncil.org/privacy-cookies/cookies
If a preference is selected, the British Council will use the information you provide to send details of activities, services and events (including social events) which we think are of interest. You may unsubscribe at any time by following the unsubscribe link in our communications. We will process your personal information based on your consent.
13.5 We will keep your level test results for 1 year and the information provided by you for a period of 7 years from the time of collection.
13.6 The British Council complies with data protection law in the UK and laws in other countries that meet internationally accepted standards. You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold on you, to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in that information and to ask us to delete your information or stop using it, through a contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have concerns about how we have used your personal information, you also have the right to complain to a privacy regulator in your country.
Please check our website at www.britishcouncil.org/privacy or contact your local British Council office.