You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
*Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 Check the IELTS test dates
Visit our IELTS dates, fees and locations page.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day. Please note that preference for a same day test is always given to those coming from a long distance from the IELTS test venue. There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register five weeks before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- a photocopy of your identification document (your passport or European ID card)
- if you are a non-European citizen, you must also provide a copy of your visa.
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is €200.00. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) By post with a cheque or Postal order made payable to 'British Council'
iii) In person at the British Council in Lisbon, Parede, Miraflores, Coimbra, Porto or Foz. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- cash (the exact amount only)
- debit card
- cheque or postal order made payable to 'British Council'.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 19:00 (except public holidays)
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
- Send all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary to the address below:
British Council Lisbon
Rua Luís Fernandes, 1 - 3
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email a week before the date of the written part of the test giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a €50 administration fee
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date
- For more information on refunds, please, check IELTS Terms and Conditions.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.