Video: a look inside a British Council classroom
We nurture young learners’ developing language skills and equip them with the tools they need to become effective language learners for life. We do this through our communicative teaching methods delivered by dedicated and professional teachers to help young learners achieve their maximum potential.
Our level system for children and young learners
3-5 years old: Learning Time With Timmy
- A positive learning environment
Lessons are based around a familiar routine so children feel safe, secure and confident. The learning experience is immersive and children acquire language naturally through play.
6-9 year olds: Primary Plus
- Building your child’s confidence
Children explore different topics and carry out motivating tasks to develop confidence in using the language. At the same time they are developing valuable life skills.
10-12 year olds: Lower Secondary
- Motivating topics and challenging tasks
Learners carry out fun, creative and interactive tasks on interesting topics to extend their knowledge of the world and ability to communicate. They are active participants in their own learning.
13-17 year olds: Secondary Plus
- Preparing for the future
Secondary courses are based on CEFR levels. Learners explore stimulating up-to-date topics linked to current issues and carry out a range of real life tasks. Our SB2, SC1 and SC2 courses include academic skills and exam preparation.
Our teaching methods for children and young learners
Each of our centres in Portugal deliver their own unique style of courses, yet we all have the same ideals in common:
- younger learner courses are topic-based, motivating and fun
- children learn through creative activities which practise all the language skills
- we develop their confidence and communication skills through natural interaction
- our lessons also focus on building up vocabulary and grammar
- we encourage learner autonomy
- students use skills which help them to learn better
- regular feedback is given on your child’s progress
- our materials are carefully selected and challenging
- we conduct our lessons entirely in English.