Aptis ESOL is a quick, affordable and convenient way to prove your English level and meet the proficiency requirements of your university or employer.
With Aptis ESOL you get:
- quick and accurate results in just 48 hours
- testing on a computer
- user-friendly test format
- convenient test dates and locations
- a certificate from the British Council at an affordable price
What does it test?
Aptis ESOL tests your ability to communicate in English in real-life situations. It consists of a core component (grammar and vocabulary), which is combined with reading, writing, listening and speaking.
The results from Aptis ESOL are presented in two ways:
- Numerical score: A score from 0 to 50 for each component
- CEFR level by skill: A CEFR level is allocated for each skill
- An overall CEFR level.
Preview a sample Aptis ESOL results report (PDF)
Aptis ESOL is available in Portugal the following variants:
- Aptis ESOL General – a general English proficiency test for candidates who are over 16 years old. It tests levels from A1 to B2 on the CEFR.
- Aptis ESOL Advanced – a variant of Aptis which tests language proficiency from B1 to C2 on the CEFR. Tasks are more complex and designed to distinguish between C1 and C2 level candidates.
Which Aptis ESOL variant is right for me?
If you need to certify your English level at B2 or below, we recommend that you take Aptis ESOL General. If you need to prove your proficiency at C1 or C2 level, we recommend that you take Aptis Advanced.
Before choosing which Aptis ESOL variant to take, please check with your institution to confirm which variant and overall score you need.